Monday, January 2, 2012

July 20th 2011 - Gotcha!

Long time before that day we have joked about getting a dog- since I have always considered myself living with cats. But ever since I have seen my first basset on TV (not quite sure if it was Columbo or Loriot), I fell in love with those droopy eyes and long velvet ears.

After my boyfriend and found a very nice and spacious apartment our silly talk about getting a dog became more and more serious and after spending Saturday nights watching youtube clips of basset dogs and puppies, our hearts made the decision for us! We want to adopt a basset!

Browsing the web made it easy. We came across two great rescues: Basset Buddies and Guardian Angel Basset Rescue . Both are very helpful when it comes to picking out a good match. Basset Buddies offers a meet and greet on a regular base and we were invited to meet Jack, a five year old basset who they thought was perfect for us. We were so excited and almost unable to go to sleep. Late that night, close to midnight, I checked their page one more time and there he was: Monroe:




Certainly not the most flattering picture, but he had the three color coat that I love so much in a basset. Going to bed I knew it is going to be him - I only had to convince my better half, since he had set his mind for Jack.

Fate was on my - or on our (Monroe and my) side! Walking into the room towards the little meet and greet area, Monroe knew the second we set food on the ground, that he is going home with us and showed his sweetest face. Jack - a cutie as well, but nothing on Mr Monroe - was out of mind.




Just like you test drive a car, we were allowed to walk him. And it felt right. Monroe was so excited when we were all by ourselves and we knew: This is our boy!

Unfortunately we were not able to take him home that day. Monroe was just recently found as a stray and one of Basset Buddies policy is that they neuter the dogs before they find a new home. For us it meant that we had to wait one more week! OMG!!! One more week! Leaving the store I made the horrible mistake of turning around one last time and looked right into Monroe's face when he saw us leaving. It broke my heart seeing those sad eyes. It was almost as if he was saying: "Wait for me! You cannot leave me!"

But time is just and after 7 days, we drove out one more time just the two of us to double the legs in our household - one of the best days in our lives!

2 comments:

  1. Great start to your blog, keep it up! We can definitely see how Monroe won your hearts :)
    ~Annie Oakley

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story of how you "Gotcha'd" Monroe. We look forward to hearing more. Especially want to know how you are faring the Chicago winter. (My person loves Chicago & almost lived there before~ so we will have to live vicariously through you). --Worm

    ReplyDelete